Social Security Disabled Widow(er)'s Insurance Benefits
The Social Security Disabled Widow(er)’s Insurance Benefits are a federally funded program administered by the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA). These benefits are paid to the disabled widow or widower of a deceased worker who had earned enough Social Security credits.
General Program Requirements
In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least age 50, but not yet age 60
- Have been married to the deceased spouse for not less than 9 months immediately prior to the day in which the deceased spouse died, unless an exception applies
- Be unmarried, unless the marriage can be disregarded
- Not be entitled to an equal or higher Social Security retirement benefit based on your own work
Based on the information you gave about your age, your disability, your current marital status and length of marriage to your deceased spouse, you could get Social Security disabled widow's or widower's benefits if:
- your former spouse had enough work credits;
- you meet the medical rules for disability benefits; and
- you are not getting a higher benefit on your own work record.
To see the listing of impairments that can qualify for disability, visit the "Adult Listing of Impairments" page. Even if your condition is not included in the listing, you still could get benefits. To find out more about how SSA decides if you are disabled, visit SSA’s Publications Home Page and review "Disability," Social Security Publication Number 05-10029.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
Widows, widowers, and surviving divorced spouses cannot apply online for survivor’s benefits. For application information, please visit the How To Apply page.
Program Contact Information
Would you like more information about disabled widow's or widower's benefits?
Visit SSA’s Publications Home Page and review the publication "Survivors," Social Security Publication Number 05-10084 or review Chapter 4 of the Social Security Handbook.
Would you like more information about social security credits?
Visit SSA's Publications Home page and review "Social Security: How You Earn Credits," Social Security Publication Number 05-10072.
Or for additional information on this and any SSA benefit, call:
1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778)