To qualify for this benefit program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be at least age 65 OR be blind or disabled.
- Have limited income and resources.
- Be a citizen or a national of the U.S. or an alien who meets certain applicable requirements.
- Reside in one of the 50 States, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands, except for a child of military parent(s) assigned to permanent duty anywhere outside the United States or certain students temporarily abroad.
Other factors may affect your eligibility, including:
- Marital status.
- Monthly income from work and bank balance.
If you would like to find out if you may be eligible for any of Social Security's benefit programs, use the Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool.
Once you have completed the eligibility screening questionnaire, you will be provided with a list of benefits for which you may be eligible. Print this page for your records before going to the application site.