To be eligible for this benefit program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be disabled, blind, or age 65.
- Have limited income and resources.
- Be a U.S. citizen or national or a lawfully permitted alien meeting additional requirements.
- Reside in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands, except for a child of military parent(s) assigned to permanent duty anywhere outside the United States or certain students temporarily abroad.
Other factors may affect your eligibility, including:
- Marital status.
- Income and resources of certain members in your household, like a spouse or a parent of a minor child.
If you would like to find out if you may be eligible for any of Social Security's benefit programs, use the Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool.
Once you have completed the eligibility screening questionnaire, you will be provided with a list of benefits for which you may be eligible. Print this page for your records before going to the application site.