Paperwork Reduction Act Notice (Public Law 104-13): This collection of information is approved under the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) control number 1290-0003, which expires on March 31, 2015. Persons are not required to respond to a collection of information that does not display a currently valid OMB control number. Responding to this collection of information is voluntary. The public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average 2.5 minutes per response, including the time for reviewing instructions, researching existing data sources, gathering and maintaining the data needed, and completing and reviewing the collection of information. Send comments regarding this burden estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information, including suggestions for reducing this burden to the U.S. Department of Labor, Benefits.gov / GovLoans.gov Office, FPB, Room N-4309, Washington, D.C. 20210.
Section 508 requires that all individuals with disabilities have access to, and use of information and data, comparable to that provided to individuals without disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on the department. The Department of Labor, along with all Federal agencies, must comply with Section 508 to make electronic and information technology accessible to people with disabilities. Federal websites provided by the Department of Labor are subject to regulations requiring self-enforcement of Section 508 compliance.
When a webpage requires that an applet, plug-in or other application be used on the client system to interpret page content, the page must provide a link to the plug-in or applet the user needs in order to view that content. Links to applets, plug-ins or other applications are listed below:
We maintain this site to enhance public access to government benefits information. This is a service that is continually under development. While we try to keep the information timely and accurate, we make no guarantees of this. We will make an effort to correct errors brought to our attention.
The documents on this site contain hypertext pointers to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. Please be aware that we do not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information. Further, the inclusion of pointers to particular items in hypertext is not intended to reflect their importance, nor is it intended to endorse any views expressed or products or services offered by the author of the reference or the organization operating the server on which the reference is maintained.
Translations of any materials into languages other than English are intended solely as a convenience to the non-English reading public. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material in English, but slight differences may exist. In most non-English documents, the original English document is identified and available for reference.
We are committed to maintaining the privacy of your personal information and the security of our computer systems. With respect to the collection, use and disclosure of personally identifiable information (PII), we make every effort to ensure compliance with applicable Federal law, including, but not limited to, The Privacy Act of 1974, The Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, and The Freedom of Information Act.
We do not collect or store any personally identifiable information when you visit our site. The information provided only aids in identifying and presenting available benefit(s) for which a visitor may be eligible; however, all information provided and generated will be lost after either closing your browser or 30 minutes of inactivity.
If you visit our site to read or download information, we collect and store the following information:
- The name of the domain from which you access the Internet (for example, google.com if you connect from a personal computer).
- The date and time you access our site.
- The Internet address of the website that directly linked you to our site.
- Commonly searched benefits and keywords.
- Anonymous demographic information about our visitors such as gender, age range, and areas of interest for adults over the age of 18. Browsers may be associated with a demographic category, such as gender or age range, based on the sites that were visited. This demographic information is used to help us better understand our visitors' interests and needs to provide content that serves you.
If you identify yourself by sending an e-mail containing personal information:
To protect your privacy, we strongly discourage sending us personal information, as we are not able to respond to case specific inquiries. Information collected in this manner is used solely for responding to requests for information. We may forward your e-mail to other government employees who are better able to respond to you. If you wish to file a request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), instructions are provided on the U.S. Department of Labor’s FOIA page.
If you link to other sites outside BEST:
Cookie Use Notice:
- They allow the website to identify you as a previous visitor each time you access a site;
- They track what information you view at a site (important to commercial sites trying to determine your buying preferences);
- In more advanced cases they track your movements through many websites, but not the whole Web;
- Businesses use them for customer convenience to allow them to produce a list of items to buy and pay for all at one time, and to garner information about what individuals are buying on their sites;
- Advertisers use them to determine the effectiveness of their marketing and offer insights into consumer preference and tastes by collecting data from many websites; and
- They can be used to help a website tailor screens for each customer’s preference.
For security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, our website also employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act of 1996.
Last Updated: 07/09/2019